Monday, November 10, 2008

Blackmore’s Night is a band with the unique sound of renaissance inspired folk-rock. The band was founded by Richie Blackmore and his girlfriend, Candace Night. Hence the name. This is a huge change from Richie Blackmore’s former bands, Deep Purple, and Rainbow. The genre has a very unique sound, one like I’ve never heard before.
One of my favorite songs by this band is ‘Spirit of the Sea’. The song follows my genre of loss because it is about a girl who finds someone to love, and loses him the same day. Every day, she walks around the sea shore, remembering him. It’s almost as though when she’s there, he’s always with her. “I saw a man I'd seen before
As I approached he slipped away...” When she is at the shore, she swears that she can see him, but when she tries to go see him, he slips away from her, reminding her that he is gone. “I knew his face from years ago, His smile stays with me ever more. His eyes, they guide me through the haze. And give me shelter from the storm...” She feels that whenever she’s by the sea, he is there with her in spirit. She feels him all around her, and knows he’s there watching over her. “As I walk I can feel him, always watching over me... His voice surrounds me, my Spirit of the Sea...”
The day she found him, she lost him. He went away to a place, very far away. On that same day, he died, taking away all chance of being with him in life. “He went away so long ago, On a maiden voyage far away. A young man then I did not know,
his life was taken that same day..” at the time, she barely knew him, but knew that there was something there. “‘And it was almost like he knew He wouldn't see me anymore. He looked so deeply in my eyes, and said "Wait for me along the shore...’” He asked her to wait for him, which is why she spends her time by the sea. He somehow knew that they’d never meet in life again, so he told her to wait for him. “And so I come most every day, to watch the waves rise and fall.”

She know that they’ll meet again in the end, so she will always wait for him, continuing to spend her time at the shore. No matter what’s going on in her life, she goes to the ocean, looking for his guidance. “But I feel my lover by my side, and he makes me follow my own heart. We'll be together some sweet day. When that day comes we'll never part...” When her life is over too, she knows that they’ll be reunited to spend an eternity together.

The song is full of imagery, where you can imagine a girl sitting by the ocean, watching the waves. You can almost see the waves crashing, which is helped by the sound of the ocean at the start of the song. When she sees his spirit, in your mind, you can almost imagine her sadness when she realizes that he isn’t really there. The song can also have the effect that you can almost feel her emotions. Through the powerful wording, you can almost feel her pain.

2 comments:

Kayla T. said...

I really like this analysis. It is really well written. Good job. =)

Cindy said...

I like your writing